Nikki Haley 4 President

Last week, Former South Carolina State Governor Nikki Haley announced her run for the 2024 General Presidential election. Born and raised in South Carolina to Indian immigrant parents, she served as the Governor from 2011 to 2017. As stated in her Twitter biography, she was also the US ambassador to the United Nations: a position she served in for a little over a year. She is a Republican and is hoping to win back traditional and less radical Republicans- A great attempt to put distance between her and Trump. 
She is the first announced contender who will go head-to-head with Former President Donald J. Trump in the Republican primary. Although she was enlisted by Trump in his presidential cabinet, she has been ridiculed by him for not conforming to his Radicalism enough. Haley was able to remove herself from Trump, as she has done by making calls to keep him in check over his taxes, which are a big concern in Nikki Haley's career.  Unfortunately, few in her Twitter replies think that she is capable of holding this type of office. As she states in her tweet above, Republicans have lost the popular vote in the general election for the last seven out of eight elections. Haley believes that she can somehow garner majority support, even though her strategy is to not cater to extremism, but she may need to focus on unity if she wants to get more votes. 
Haley's Twitter responses are more intriguing than the comments I have analyzed in the past. Most of the comments were indeed saying that she was unfit or undesirable, but it wasn't in an overtly rude way. Many people asked genuine questions about her past positions and how she will operate as president. A handful have asked, "I am recently unaffiliated with either party. What makes you the candidate for me?" in a kind way that I haven't seen in the comments of any other woman in politics. Some did praise her, but none of the comments attacked her looks or her personality. The attacks were mostly aimed at her policy stances, but there were no comments about how she delivered them.
Her campaign announcement video, as well as other appearances, make her appear intelligent and subdued (which could be the reason that they do not attack her). What I see is a lack of passion, although her extensive record shows that she has always been heavily involved. Although I may disagree with her politically, I do think this run for president gives Republicans an opportunity to choose a better candidate than Trump... I just don't know if she'll be able to convince them.

https://twitter.com/NikkiHaley?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor


Comments

  1. Hi Madison! First off, I really appreciate the theme of your blog overall, I believe this is a really important topic to focus on! I had seen a few videos on the news in the past few months about Nikki Haley and was intrigued, not because of her politics, but simply because she seemed to be gaining traction against Trump. I do admire that she is a woman taking the lead in a really tough fight, I can imagine that many don't wish to go up against Trump simply because of his nature. I found Nikki slightly more palatable than Trump, but I still feel some of her views are incredibly damaging and a little to close to white supremacist ideals. She uses her own race to define the experience of others, stating that America is not racist, using her position as a non white woman governor as proof. I think this a tone deaf statement, especially with so many of the issues we faced regarding white supremacy in the last election. Overall, I really enjoyed your post and your analysis of social medias views. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

War on Women's Rights

Is Change No Longer Welcomed?

The Tennessee 3 -But Only 2 Expelled?